Summer brings hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists to the Myrtle Beach area every year. Whether it is for early season events like Myrtle Beach Bike Week or Atlantic Beach Bikefest, or vacationers coming throughout the season, the Grand Strand is full of bikers and their passengers.
Everyone on area roads needs to drive defensively and look out for other vehicles and pedestrians. However, it seems that motorcyclists often have to be extra cautious, because others are not looking out for them.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents
While some motorcyclists engage in risky behavior while riding, many accidents happen because car and truck drivers fail to properly share the road with motorcycles. Some of the more common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle
- Following a motorcycle too closely
- Changing lanes too closely in front of an oncoming motorcycle
- Backing out of a driveway or parking lot in front of an oncoming motorcycle
- Texting while driving or talking on the phone while driving
Just like with many bicycle accidents, car and truck drivers who struck the riders claimed that they did not see the motorcycle. This is not a valid excuse. Every driver on the road needs to be cautious of other vehicles, including motorcycles.
Protect your rights and options after an accident
Whether you were struck by another vehicle or you are looking after a loved one who was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, there are a few important steps you can take to protect your rights and hold the negligent driver accountable:
- Report the accident to police immediately, so there is an official record of events
- Take pictures of the accident scene if you are able, including damage to the vehicles, any injuries and skid marks on the road
- Collect the names and contact information of potential witnesses
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible and follow the recommended course of treatment
- Talk to an experienced personal injury attorney about the best way to proceed for recovering the compensation you deserve
After an accident, insurance companies will get involved, and dealing with them on your own can be a complex, frustrating process. By working with an experienced attorney, you can be sure that the insurance companies will treat you with the respect you deserve.