Established And Respected Personal Injury And Criminal Defense Lawyers
Lonnie Morgan Martin was born and raised in Galivants Ferry, South Carolina. After graduating from Aynor High School he attended Francis Marion College and the University of South Carolina School of Law. Upon graduation, he joined the 15th Judicial Circuit Solicitor's Office in Conway eventually being promoted to the rank of Chief Deputy Solicitor serving in that capacity for 8 years under then Solicitor Jim Dunn.
In 1988 he joined the law firm Odell, Lester, & Stewart before soon thereafter forming Hearn, Brittain, and Martin with attorneys George Hearn and Tommy Brittain. Morgan was a partner with Hearn, Brittain, and Martin for over 20 years until an amicable split in 2010 when he founded the Law Offices of L. Morgan Martin, P.A. with his daughter Mary Ashley and son M. O'Bryan Martin.
Since leaving the Solicitor's Office in 1988 Morgan has blended a practice of criminal, personal injury, and other litigation. As a criminal attorney he is a trial veteran handling in excess of over 100 murder cases with at least 40 of those being trials, with the majority of those trials ending in acquittals. As a civil attorney Morgan has tried or successfully settled dozens of cases and has on occasion owned the largest collectible jury verdict at the time in Horry County.
He has been a SuperLawyer for 12 consecutive years and currently listed in South Carolina's Top 25 and has achieved Martindale Hubble's highest ranking.
Morgan served in the South Carolina Legislature for 6 years where he served on the House Judiciary Committee. In 1999 Morgan was appointed by then Governor Jim Hodges as Chairman of the South Carolina Highway Department (SCDOT), a post in which he served for four years.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 1978
- Francis Marion University
- B.S. - 1975
- South Carolina, 1978
- American Board of Criminal Lawyer's Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- The South Carolina Legislature Criminal Law Committee, Former Chairman
- The South Carolina Legislature Commission on Sentencing Guidelines, Former Chairman
- South Carolina Department of Transportation, Former Chairman
- South Carolina Association for Justice – Member
- South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member
- Chief Deputy Solicitor, 15th Judicial Circuit
- South Carolina Department of Transportation, Chairman
- South Carolina House of Representatives, Member
- South Carolina House Judiciary Committee, Member
- Horry County Democratic Party, Chairman